According to the USA Consumer Product Safety Commission, hundreds of accidents caused by malfunctioning garage doors happen every year. The summer months are when the maximum accidents happen because it is a time when the garage door is used frequently to fulfill the actions such as, coming and going of kids riding the bikes or playing football in the driveway. The most common cases involve accidents wherein fingers and hands are caught in the damaged section of the garage door. Almost 30,000 people a year are treated in the emergency rooms of the hospital due to garage door-related injuries. In order to keep your family safe some garage door safety tips should be followed:
- Keep wall-mounted garage door panels out of the range of young kids. Never allow your child to play with the remote of the garage door. If you allow them to play it once they will want to gain even without the supervision of adults. Don’t develop a bad habit.
- Educate your kids about the dangers of operating a garage door in the wrong way. If they understand that there is danger related to the garage door and it is not a toy then they will not put themselves on the way to harm. If you have a sectional garage door, educate your kids never to put their fingers between the sections.
- Make sure that your family members know how to use emergency release functions in the case of any emergency. The user’s manual will provide you with all the needed information about garage door safety.
- Inspect your garage door components in detail at least once a month. Take a closer look at the cables, springs, rollers, pulleys, and other moving hardware to find out the sign of wear and tear. As a safety precaution, don’t try to remove, adjust or replace any tensed part of the placement. Only certified garage door technicians should be called for the job.
- Test the safety features of the garage door periodically. Place a small yet soft object in the path of closing the garage door. if the safety system is working properly, the garage door will stop and reverse automatically to the open position once it touches the hurdle. If it does not then you should call a professional guy to fix the errors.
Prevention is the first step to making sure that your garage door is safe to use. If your garage door needs fixing, call professional garage door companies to do this for you. Every family member should be aware of the dangers of the garage door. By following these safety tips, you can keep your family safe and the garage door working in the tip-top position.